At some point of time, we need a software which we haven’t heard of or not even sure if it exists and we start googling it. There are several useful open source and free software’s, here I am listing down few useful open-source and free software.
Media – Audio/Video/Image
- GIMP – It is a cross-platform image editor available for GNU/Linux, OS X, Windows and more operating systems. It is free software. There are hundreds of plugins available for it at http://registry.gimp.org/glossary
- ClipGrab – You find some useful video on youtube or on some site and your want to download it for offline reference but don’t know how to download. Don’t worry, ClipGrab can help you to download the video. It can even track your clipboard and download videos automatically.
- Greenshot – It is a light-weight screenshot software tool for Windows. It quickly create screenshots of a selected region, window or fullscreen; you can even capture complete (scrolling) web pages from Internet Explorer.
- Openshot – It is a incredibly simple and powerful open-source cross-platform video editor, with support for Linux, Mac and Windows. You can quickly trim down your videos. It has several easy ways to cut your video. It has several other features like Animation and Key Frames, Unlimited tracks, Video effects, Audio Wave-forms, Title editor, 3D Animation and Slow Motion and time effect.
- Digicamcontrol – It is a free, open source, Windows application – you can control DSLR cameras using a USB or WiFi connection, also known as tethered shooting. It supports almost all cameras from Nikon and Canon, as well as other cameras. It has several features like live view, remote triggering, direct image transfer, controlling multiple cameras simultaneously and even offers you camera control from your tablet or smartphone. List of supported camera is available at http://digicamcontrol.com/cameras and list of features can be found at http://digicamcontrol.com/doc/basics/featurelist
Text / Source Code Editors
- Notepad++ – It is a free source code editor and Notepad replacement that supports several languages. Running in the MS Windows environment, its use is governed by GPL License.
- Brackets – It is a lightweight, yet powerful, modern open source text editor. It has several useful features like Inline Editors, Live Preview, Preprocessor Support. It also supports extension listed at https://registry.brackets.io/
- Visual Studio Code – It is a source code editor developed by Microsoft for Windows, Linux and macOS. It is also customizable, so users can change the editor’s theme, keyboard shortcuts, and preferences. It is free and open-source.
- Foldersize – It opens a new dialog box with Windows Explorer to show folder sizes. In pre-Vista Windows Explorer it adds a column which displays the sizes of folders.
iPhone/Laptop Scree Cast
- AirSender – It allows you to wirelessly beam your screen to Apple TV or Android Device running AirReceiver.
- doPDF – It is a free PDF printer which creates PDF files. Once installed it creates a virtual PDF printer and will allow you to convert any type of printable documents to PDF files.
- ArgoUML – It is the oen source UML modeling tool and includes support for all standard UML 1.4 diagrams. It runs on any Java platform and is available in ten languages. It has several features listed at http://argouml.tigris.org/features.html
- Oracle VM Virtulbox – It is powerful Cross-platform Virtualization Software for x86-based systems. It supports Windows, Linux, Mac OS X and Solaris x86 computers and you can create and run multiple Virtual Machines, running different operating systems, on the same computer at the same time.
Web server solution stack
- XAMPP – It is a free and open source cross-platform web server solution stack package developed by Apache Friends, consisting mainly of the Apache HTTP Server, MariaDB database, and interpreters for scripts written in the PHP and Perl programming languages. XAMPP stands for Cross-Platform (X), Apache (A), MariaDB (M), PHP (P) and Perl (P). It is a simple, lightweight Apache distribution that makes it extremely easy for developers to create a local web server for testing and deployment purposes.
- WAMP – It is a Windows web development environment. It allows you to create web applications with Apache2, PHP and a MySQL database. Alongside, PhpMyAdmin allows you to manage easily your database.
- LAMP – It is an open source Web development platform that uses Linux as the operating system, Apache as the Web server, MySQL as the relational database management system and PHP as the object-oriented scripting language.
- Unetbootin – It allows you to create bootable Live USB drives for Ubuntu, Fedora, and other Linux distributions without burning a CD. It runs on Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X. You can either let UNetbootin download one of the many distributions supported out-of-the-box for you, or supply your own Linux .iso file.
- Universal-USB-Installer – It is a Live Linux Bootable USB Creator that allows you to choose from a selection of Linux Distributions to put on your USB Flash Drive.
- rufus-2.18p – It is a utility that helps format and create bootable USB flash drives, such as USB keys/pendrives, memory sticks, etc. It useful for cases where you need to create USB installation media from bootable ISOs (Windows, Linux, UEFI, etc.), you need to work on a system that doesn’t have an OS installed
you need to flash a BIOS or other firmware from DOS.
- Windows USB/DVD Download tool – It allows you to create a copy of your Windows 7/8 ISO file on a USB flash drive or a DVD. To create a bootable DVD or USB flash drive, download the ISO file and then run the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download tool. Once this is done, you can install Windows 7 or Windows 8 directly from the USB flash drive or DVD.
Remote Desktop Manager
- Remote Desktop Manager (RDC Man) – It manages multiple remote desktop connections. It is useful for managing server labs or large server farms where you need regular access to each machine such as automated checkin systems and data centers
Wikipedia list of open source softwares